Supporting young people to make complaints and advocate for systems change
This 3 hour workshop is delivered by the NSW Ombudsman’s Youth Liaison Officer. It is targeted to frontline staff who work with agencies that provide services to children and young people, such as supported accommodation services, residential out-of-home care providers, neighbourhood centres and other youth support services.
The workshop covers:
- The role of the NSW Ombudsman
- Supporting young people to make complaints
- How to handle complaints effectively
- The role of advocacy in achieving change
About the Youth Liaison Officer
A key focus of the office is our commitment to young people. We are keen to help young people access our services. The Youth Liaison Officer is one resource the office uses to achieve this goal.
A focus of the Youth Liaison Officer is to promote the role of the Ombudsman throughout the state to improve access to our services by young people and the workers who support them. In addition to handling or referring on individual complaints, the Youth Liaison Officer regularly engages with youth services and peak bodies to identify the most pressing issues for young people. Feedback from these consultations informs the broader work of the office with the aim of improving service delivery to this often vulnerable group.
Who should attend
Staff who work with children and young people in supported accommodation services, residential out of home care services, neighbourhood centres and other youth support services.
By completing this workshop, participants will learn:
- the role and functions of the NSW Ombudsman
- the legislative and policy framework for complaint handling
- the barriers young people face when making complaints, and strategies to overcome these
- key features of a youth-friendly complaints system
- how to empower young people to make complaints when they have a problem with a service
- how their agency can advocate for a young person and for systems change.
This workshop runs for 3 hours, but can be tailored according to the needs of your group.
This workshop is available free of charge for groups of ten or more people.
There are currently no events for this workshop.